Monday, August 15, 2011

What I Did On My Summer Vacation


I was asked to submit a “What I Did On My Summer Vacation” piece. Here it is:

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Florida, ostensibly to visit family. This is a trip that was scheduled for the last week in July, to Florida.

Don't even ask why. I am trying to conceal at least a few levels of insanity from the general public and my friends in particular.

The flight was long and a physically painful agony because of the narrow confines and hard seats. Fortunately that was the only bad part of the trip, except for the absence of our daughter-in-law who was rejected at the US boarder for reasons that arose quite unexpectedly.

I wanted to cancel the trip on the spot, but tickets and room rent had been paid and were non-refundable.

I decided to make the most of it, indulging in a four day Bacchanalian revelry, the details of which are somewhat fuzzy. Palm trees, sand, pelicans, bikinis are in there somewhere.

Yes, my bikini was frowned on. Florida lawmen seem not to have a sense of humor, I mean it was in the palm tree. It had three pieces. What more did they want? Was I supposed to wear it too?

Sand? The airlines fussed when I took a suitcase full through security, but it was fond memories I was carrying after all.

The rest is lost in haze. I am sure my memories are good, I think.

Everyone knows I would not lie about such a thing.

2 comments:

  1. Where are the bikini pictures??
    This is what I expect from a talented wit like yourself, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some pictures are in the camera, The rest were confiscated as being unfit for viewing.

    ReplyDelete